Today's Run: Just over 4 miles at marathon pace. Loved it. Felt a bit like flying.

"Journalism will never hold you."

One of my college professors said that to me on the last day of class. It was a literature to film class that required me to find unique analogies in filmmakers' interpretations of books and plays. I loved it. I was so deeply absorbed that I became temporarily obsessed with every version of Romeo and Juliet I could get my hands on. I wrote a dozen page paper just on the use of color in the films, detailing how it foreshadowed events, exaggerated character emotions and helped set the the tempo of each scene.

The thing I remember most from that class, though, was not Leonardo DiCaprio running around in Shakespearean tights. It was that one statement: "Journalism will never hold you."

Of course I was a journalism major at the time; almost double major in English. I was fully committed to my path and exceeded my own academic goals as a straight A student. But my professor stopped me in my tracks. I never thought beyond my university universe: Finish top of my class. Get a job right out of college. Become a successful writer and editor in the real world. I chuckled at the idea that I may go further than all that (I was thinking like a 20 year old), but I knew he was serious. I just couldn't fully comprehend his words.

I'm still thinking about it today. Only now I apply it to several aspects of my life. Am I pushing myself to my full potential at work? Am I doing all I can to make my loved ones happy? Can I really qualify for Boston?

Running is one area where I am proud to have broken through my little mold. 5ks didn't hold me. Half marathons didn't hold me. The day I finished a marathon... that was the day I opened a door to a world of possibilities. What began as a way to stay healthy and in shape (a means to an end) has turned into the fulfillment of a lifelong dream and an ongoing motivation.

I intend to think big and continue opening many more doors in the future. I hope others find the inspiration to do the same. Until then, choose your own adventure and trying telling yourself "Fill in the blank will never hold you." It will get you thinking.

Comments

01/21/2010 07:14

Nice blog! I made my own arm warmers, too. And I'm running Big Sur this year and can't wait! I saw that you ran it last year. My running challenge is to run a 3:50 someday, but not at Big Sur!

Robyn
01/22/2010 16:54

Ohhh, Big Sur! I still get goosebumps thinking about it. It's an amazing event. And that's an awesome goal! I don't blame you for wanting to save it for another day... You'll want to enjoy every step of Big Sur! :)

Yes I am agreeing with you that the fill in the blanks will not hold you but blank in the fills, that’s can hold you for your whole life. For avoiding this you should have to make your life a happy life with full of pleasures.

12/06/2016 00:05

Really, i appreciate the effort you made to share the post. The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time.

02/06/2017 05:34

I truly satisfied identified this site. Your blog content include lots of stuff as well as very good endeavors, my partner and i compulsorily giving this kind of to my own close friends.

02/13/2017 01:52

I never thought past my college universe: Finish top of my class. Land a position appropriate out of school. Turned into an effective essayist and proofreader in this present reality.

I genuinely fulfilled distinguished this site. Your blog content incorporate heaps of stuff and in addition great attempts, my accomplice and i necessarily giving this sort of to my own particular dear companions.

Running is one range where I am glad to have gotten through my little shape. 5ks didn't hold me. Half marathons didn't hold me. The day I completed a marathon... that was the day I opened a way to a universe of potential outcomes.

05/10/2017 05:04

Really, i appreciate the effort you made to share the post. Yes I am agreeing with you that the fill in the blanks will not hold you but blank in the fills.

Running is one zone where I am pleased to have gotten through my little shape. 5ks didn't hold me. Half marathons didn't hold me. The day I completed a marathon... that was the day I opened a way to a universe of conceivable outcomes. What started as an approach to remain solid and fit as a fiddle (a necessary chore) has transformed into the satisfaction of a long lasting dream and a progressing inspiration.

Running is one zone where I am satisfied to have become through my little shape. 5ks didn't hold me. Half marathons didn't hold me. The day I finished a marathon... that was the day I opened a route to a universe of possible results. What begun as a way to deal with stay strong and perfectly healthy (a fundamental task) has changed into the fulfillment of a dependable dream and an advancing motivation.

05/26/2017 05:51

Freedom app is an excellent app scrolling faster in the Android devices now